This year I bought a new PC and I have been enjoying getting back into PC games. These days I mostly blather on “Twitter”:http://twitter.com/icheyne, but here are some longer-form thoughts.
PC games have suffered in recent years, I suspect mainly because piracy pushed marketing money towards consoles and because laptop graphics are weak. There has been a recent renaissance due to digital distribution. It’s trivially easy to download games from “Steam”:http://store.steampowered.com or its competitors like “GamersGate”:http://www.gamersgate.co.uk and prices have fallen drastically. Also hardware requirements have fallen and PCs are cheaper, so you can play pretty much anything on a £400 desktop PC.
* “Team Fortress 2”:http://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/ for multiplayer shooting. I *love* this game. Be warned – it’s very competitive. Quake Live is free…
* “Bioshock 2”:http://store.steampowered.com/app/7670/ for a creepy first person shooter – too scary for me.
* “Mass Effect 2”:http://store.steampowered.com/app/24980/ for a sci-fi shooter with RPG elements.
* “League of Legends”:http://www.leagueoflegends.com/ for an online real-time strategy game. It’s free, so worth a try.
* “Civilization IV”:http://store.steampowered.com/app/3900/ for slow, intricate empire building.
* “World of Goo”:http://2dboy.com/games.php for a casual puzzle
* “Batman: Arkham Asylum”:http://store.steampowered.com/app/35140/ for a beautiful adventure/brawler. Plays best with an Xbox 360 gamepad.
* “Torchlight”:http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/ for an action RPG, similar to Diablo, but more accessible.
Watch “Gametrailers”:http://gametrailers.com for video reviews.
Check “Can You Run It”:http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ to see if it will work before you buy.
Read “Rock Paper Shotgun”:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com for news and reviews.
Buy a copy of PC gamer and build the PC Gamer Rig. It’s an £800 PC, but it’ll last for years and do anything you want.
Ready “SavyGamer”:http://savygamer.co.uk/category/deals/pc/ for bargain games. Generally only mentions decent games.