inconsequential ruminations

A minimalist blog, with a pretentious title, about strategy games.

Why I don’t play Bridge

with 8 comments

Ely and Josephine Dillon Culbertson by Cliff1066

Last night I got lots of abuse for not playing Bridge. Here are my reasons:

1. There are too many other good games to be wedded to just one.
  2. You have to read books to be good at it.
  3. My short-term memory is poor.
  4. In my only game, a friend turned to me and correctly told me the last five cards in my hand. There’s a major learning curve.
  5. I don’t like losing.

Can you persuade me otherwise?

Written by Iain

November 10th, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Posted in boardgames

Tagged with , ,

8 Responses to 'Why I don’t play Bridge'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Why I don’t play Bridge'.

1. Reason 1 is reason enough. Plus there are many complex games that are more engaging thematically than Bridge.

VALIS

11 Nov 11 at 14:44

2. Bridge is ok but if you’ve got four players why wouldn’t you play Tichu :-)
    Or Tigris and Euphrates

I think most ‘classic’ games require you to devote a lifetime to study so it becomes dependent on whether you like to specialise or generalise. I’ll never be a master Go player as a result :-(

Steerpike

11 Nov 11 at 20:29

3. @valis: You’re right. There are only two reasons really (1) Lots of other games (2) Can’t be bothered to master it.

@steerpike: I disagree with Tichu, but totally agree about T&E!

Iain

11 Nov 11 at 23:39

4. I’m perfectly happy if you don’t want to play bridge… as Steerpike points out there are lots of other things you could do.

But I will say this in defense of Bridge. Since I learned to play Bridge (not well) I no longer enjoy other card games like I used to because every time I play a card game I find myself thinking “well, this is WAY less interesting and challenging than Bridge”. If you LIKE that, then you might enjoy Bridge.

Michael Chermside

3 Dec 11 at 23:54

5. A good point, well made. I wonder how much of this is due to the difficulty of learning? After wrapping your head around the unintuitive rules and the complicated bidding systems – your patience with playing simpler card games is bound to be lower. It’s like trying to play a simple tactical WWII game with an Advanced Squad Leader player. My “why I don’t play ASL” post will be very similar to this one. :)

Iain

4 Dec 11 at 01:02

6. #4 and #5 just suggest that you should play more and get good at it, not quit. Is there anything that you’re great at immediately after starting? not usually.

7. You’re absolutely right, but I don’t see the return on investment.

Iain

8 Jul 12 at 20:56

8. You’re absolutely right, except, you’re not.

It’s a fun game if you strip away the snobbishness and mystique.

Play it for an evening as you’d play any other 4 player game, simply remembering that this one is a product of a society, not one designer’s mind.

I play rucks of games, and Bridge is one to savour (particularly if your opponents are overconfident, dim and willing to play for 10p per point!).

Si Carter