inconsequential ruminations

A minimalist blog, with a pretentious title, about strategy games.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

with 5 comments

Deus-Ex: HR Trooper achievement for finishing game

I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution this morning. It’s not perfect, but I really enjoyed it. It’s a serious game with a serious point.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is all about choice. You can fight, creep, hack or even talk your way through problems. The stealth gameplay was the best part of the game. The worst was the boss fights which cannot be bypassed but pretty much require fighting upgrades (cybernetic augmentations) to complete. My advice is to use the Typhoon augmentation wherever possible and read a walkthrough without guilt.

The plot is very strong, building upon the original Deus Ex (PC Gamer’s best game ever). It can be hard to follow, but even the least engaged player will understand that Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s theme are the moral questions of cybernetics. Once you finish the game, or if you never intend to finish the game, read Kieron Gillen’s thoughts. He’s right – it’s all about DRM.

In my original reading, before I played the game, the word cyberpunk was not mentioned once – despite the hero having cybernetic arms and mirrorshades straight out of Neuromancer. Either the writers were too young to have read Wiliam Gibson or seen Bladerunner, or more likely it’s just an old-fashioned word.

If you have an Xbox 360, Mac or PC you owe this game to yourself. PC gamers should note that this is not a clumsy 360 port, if only because mouse movement feels natural.

Finally, why does a guy with cybernetic arms need weights in his apartment?

Written by Iain

November 6th, 2011 at 11:46 am

Posted in videogames

Tagged with , ,

5 Responses to 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution'.

1. It always makes me envious when I read of people enjoying (and completing!) this game. I tried the original and got severe motion sickness (as with all 1st person shooters).

Congrats on clocking it (do the kids still say ‘clocking it’?)

VALIS

6 Nov 11 at 11:59

2. Poor you. Motion sickness is a big problem for many people. I’m lucky.

I’m not a kid, so I’ll say clocking it. :)

By the way, nice blog. I’ve subscribed. Please could you show the whole post in your newsfeed, not just a snippet?

Iain

6 Nov 11 at 12:43

3. Nice comments. I rented this a few weeks back, but due to our family circumstances (you know about then Iain) I haven’t been able to pick it up. I really enjoyed the game play, and thought the game was amazing in it’s feel.

I am a big Cyberpunk fan, so this story was right up my alley.

Just waiting for the game’s price to drop enough I can justify picking it up. I would have paid full price after trying it, but the kids can play Arkham City, and Skyrim was my #1 need to get game this year, both preordered WAY before our family incident :).

Never played the original Deus Ex (not much of a PC gamer) but I may need to see if it’s possible to get a copy anymore…

Ryan Olson

6 Nov 11 at 15:53

4. Nice one Iain, I’ve altered the newsfeed.

VALIS

6 Nov 11 at 16:45

5. Ryan: I’m glad Dina’s operation went as well as you could have hoped. Must be a huge relief. Maybe you can get back to your normal gaming life sooner! ;) The original is available cheaply on Steam and should run on almost anything. I couldn’t get on with it myself. Graphics too bad and interface was very dated.

Valis: Thanks!